Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eleanor Roosevelt Award

Karen Mayne, my mom was awarded the Eleanor Roosevelt Award this year. Each year, the Utah State Democratic Party gives this prestigious award to a Utah woman who exemplifies, “the high standards, compassionate philosophy and actions of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.” No one deserved this award more then my mother. Several people nominated my mom, here is the letter I sent in nominating my mom:

I would like to nominate Karen Mayne for the 2009 Eleanor Roosevelt Award. She deserves this award because of her many years of devotion to the Utah State Democratic Party. Not only has Karen been an active member of Democratic Women for over 25 years, she was also nominated and served as President for several years. She has devoted her life to the Utah Democratic Party.

Karen is currently serving as the State Senator for district 5. She has taken charge with this title to continually serve and advance the needs of her district. She is already hard at work campaigning to get fellow Democrats elected. Whenever a Democratic hopeful is in need of somebody to walk door-to-door, put up signs, run a booth, or complete any of the other countless tasks involved with a campaign, they all know they can count on Karen. She has assisted in hundreds of campaigns over the years, never out of obligation, but because she truly feels the importance of getting Democrats elected.

Karen is very well known in the community. She is a member of many committees and boards, including: Kearns recreation board, Kearns Lions club, Kearns coalition, American Federations of Teachers, Rocky Mountain Center for Occupational and Environment Health Advisory Board. She has received many awards and accolades for her endless service, such as: Honorary Mrs. Kearns, Para-Educator of the Year, Award by American Federation of Teachers, and Lucy Beth Rampton Award for Public Service.

Karen Mayne has earned this award, as well. As her daughter, I have witnessed first-hand her lifetime commitment to this party. She has and will continue to give endless support to the Utah Democratic Party. I believe it’s time she is recognized for her hard work.

I really don't have any great photos of the event, my camera is still acting up. She gave a wonderful speech, I was so proud of my mom. Over 600 people came to support her, and it was great to have some of my closest friends and family there. Several prominent people such as Bill Clinton and Eleanor's grandson wrote letters congratulating her. It was a great day that she deserved.

No comments: